About Friends of the Arlington Public Library
The purpose of the Friends shall be to:
- Bring together and maintain an organization of persons interested in books, libraries, facilities and needs;
- Promote public awareness and community support for the Arlington Public Library System and its educational activities;
- Encourage gifts and fund raising activities.
Our fund raising projects have given library patrons benefits over and above those which the city budget is able to provide. Since its organization in 1987, the Friends fund raising efforts have resulted in more than $694,000 in gifts for the Arlington Public Library System. Recent contributions include:
- Providing computer hardware for a learning center at the East Arlington Branch Library
- Assisting with children’s services and programs (including the Summer Reading Club)
- Raising community awareness of library needs and coalesce citizen advocacy for the Arlington Public Library System.
- Helping sponsor the library’s 80th birthday celebration in 2003.
We have helped raise community awareness of library needs and have become a nucleus of citizen advocacy for the Arlington Public Library System.
1983: Steering Committee formed with eight members
1987: First organizational meeting and book and author luncheon
1988: First book sale held as part of the library’s 65th anniversary celebration
1987-2010: Fund raising efforts have provided over $500,000 for the library.
VP-Book Sale—Wayne Halliburton
VP-Book & Author Luncheon—Jewel Hugo
Assistant Treasurer – Prem Kohli