Local Newspaper Transcriptions

One of Arlington’s first local newspapers was The Arlington Journal, which began weekly publication in 1897. A competing weekly paper, The Arlington Citizen was started in the 1930s. In 1957, the two papers merged and became The Arlington Citizen-Journal. In fact, the Arlington Citizen-Journal was published by George W. Hawkes, the Central Library’s namesake. The Central Library has partial microfilm holdings of these papers starting with Volume 1, no. 4 of The Journal from August 20, 1897 through to the last editions of the Citizen-Journal in 1995.

Mr. W.E. Keller has transcribed selected items from The Journal and The Citizen, focusing mainly on death notices and miscellaneous news items. These transcripts have been donated to the library’s genealogy section as books, and are also available here.

Arlington Journal

1897 PDF, 235 KB

1901 PDF, 1.15 MB

1902 PDF, 883 KB

1903 PDF, 1.41 MB

1904 PDF, 1.31 MB

1905 PDF, 918 KB

l1925 PDF, 270 KB

1927 PDF, 453 KB

1928 PDF, 465 KB

1929 PDF, 683 KB

1930 PDF, 686 KB

1931 PDF, 587 KB

1932 PDF, 235 KB

1933 PDF, 462 KB

1934 PDF, 336 KB

1936 PDF, 625 KB

1937 PDF, 671 KB

1938 PDF, 558 KB

1939 PDF, 501 KB

1940 PDF, 642 KB

Arlington Citizen

1937 PDF, 198 KB

1938 PDF, 468 KB

1939 PDF, 437 KB

1940 PDF, 477 KB