Senior Library Advisory Council
The Senior Library Advisory Council of the Arlington Public Library began in 2012 to focus on library services to seniors in our community.
Projects have included:
- Acquiring lighted magnifiers for all library locations, funded by the Greater Arlington Lion’s Club
- Researching useful links to services and activities of interest to seniors and initiating the Senior Page on the library’s website
- Providing advice and support for Books on Wheels, a pilot program in 2012, to deliver books to seniors who cannot come to the library on their own
Members of the Senior Council are users and lovers of libraries and are active volunteers in the community. They were featured in a series of READ posters in 2013-14. Current members include:
Current members include:
- Adell Campbell, community activist for services to people with disabilities and longtime radio host of a weekly program on North Texas Radio for the Blind
- Ron Clegg, retired from Bell Helicopter and a world traveler, volunteer with Meals on Wheels and Sons of Abraham
- Dr. Lucille Howton, linguistics educator in Latin, Italian, Spanish and bilingual education. She has taught at TCU, SMU, NTSU, and Nolan High School.
- Laura Lace, retired school librarian with Fort Worth and Arlington ISD, AISD Education Foundation Coordinator, and current director of St. Alban’s Episcopal Church Bookstore.
- Shirley Patterson, retired corporate research librarian at LTV and 8 years with Tarrant County College, Parkview Historic Neighborhood community leader
- Aubrey Peterson, retired teacher coach and administrator for Fort Worth ISD, principal of Dunbar High School
- Barbara Transki, retired from the U.S. Navy, library volunteer and active in the local geocaching community.
- Carol Van Orden, retired AISD grants coordinator for special education programs, regular library volunteer at Woodland West
- Ron Weatherill, born and raised in England, retired from a 42-year career in the petroleum exploration industry that took him around the world.
The Senior Council brings a wealth of life experience and a spirit of volunteerism to help create better library services and programs for the senior community in Arlington. Library staff working with senior programs includes Debi Wood,David Jackson and Trish Conaway.