Senior Library Advisory Council
The Senior Library Advisory Council of the Arlington Public Library began in 2012 to focus on library services to seniors in our community.
Projects have included:
- Acquiring lighted magnifiers for all library locations, funded by the Greater Arlington Lion’s Club
- Researching useful links to services and activities of interest to seniors and initiating the Senior Page on the library’s website
- Providing advice and support for Books on Wheels, a pilot program in 2012, to deliver books to seniors who cannot come to the library on their own
- Serving as a focus group for creating library programs and events aimed at seniors
Members of the Senior Council are users and lovers of libraries and are active volunteers in the community. Current members include:
Current members include:
- Ron Clegg, retired from Bell Helicopter and a world traveler, volunteer with Meals on Wheels and Sons of Abraham
- C. Tom Fincher, retired teacher who is a passionate library volunteer after discovering the joys of reading as an adult
- Susan Fincher, lifelong reader and library lover, and currently volunteering with the Books on Wheels program
- Dr. Lucille Howton, linguistics educator in Latin, Italian, Spanish and bilingual education. She has taught at TCU, SMU, NTSU, and Nolan High School.
- Laura Lace, retired school librarian with Fort Worth and Arlington ISD, AISD Education Foundation Coordinator, and current director of St. Alban’s Anglican Parish Bookstore
- Shirley Patterson, retired corporate research librarian at LTV and 8 years with Tarrant County College, Parkview Historic Neighborhood community leader
- Barbara Transki, retired from the U.S. Navy, library volunteer and active in the local geocaching community
- Carol Van Orden, retired AISD grants coordinator for special education programs, regular library volunteer at Woodland West
- Ron Weatherill, born and raised in England, retired from a 42-year career in the petroleum exploration industry that took him around the world
The Senior Council brings a wealth of life experience and a spirit of volunteerism to help create better library services and programs for the senior community in Arlington. Library staff working with senior programs includes Melissa Jeffrey, David Jackson and Miranda Want.