Made in a Mug: Chocolate Cake
Made In A Mug is a series of videos teaching teens how to make mug recipes. Mug recipes are great since they are simple and make just enough for one person. The mug recipe highlighted for September is chocolate cake. This recipe makes an extremely moist and chocolatey cake, almost like a lava cake. To make this recipe more accessible, we’ll be using hot chocolate mix instead of cocoa powder.
To make this mug cake, you will need:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 packet no-sugar-added hot chocolate mix (approx. 4.24 oz.)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-2 tablespoons granulated sugar depending on your sweetness preference. If your hot chocolate mix has sugar added, 1 tablespoon of sugar is recommended instead of 2.
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chocolate pudding (chocolate pudding snack cup)
You’ll also want a microwave-safe mug, small mixing bowl, measuring spoons and cups, and either a small whisk or a fork.
1. Add all dry ingredients (flour, hot chocolate mix, baking powder, granulated sugar, salt) into a mixing bowl.
2. Whisk the dry ingredients together.
3. Pour in the wet ingredients (water, oil).
4. Whisk ingredients together until all are combined and the batter is smooth with no clumps.
5. Pour half of your batter into a microwave-safe mug.
6. Add the chocolate pudding and smooth it out flat to the edges of the cup.
7. Add the remaining batter and smooth it. There should still be adequate space between the batter and the rim of the mug.
8. Optional: If you have a wider mug, place a paper towel under the cup (for overflow) in the microwave.
9. Set cooking time to 60 to 75 seconds, depending on your wattage. One option is to cook for 60 seconds first, then cook another 10 seconds.
10. When it is done cooking, take out the mug with mitts or a towel. The cup will be hot! If desired, top the cake with your extra chocolate pudding.
And that’s it. Enjoy your chocolate cake in a mug!
If you enjoyed this recipe, check out our Made in a Mug: Pizza recipe coming out on Friday, October 16!