Made in a Mug: Pumpkin Pie
It’s time for Made in a Mug again! Made In A Mug is a series of videos teaching teens how to make mug recipes. Mug recipes are great since they are simple and make just enough for one person. The mug recipe highlighted for November is pumpkin pie, which was a special suggestion from our Library Youth Ambassadors. Got extra pumpkin puree and aren’t sure what to do with it? Or just have a hankering for pumpkin pie but don’t want to buy a whole pie? This is the recipe for you!
To make pumpkin pie in a mug, you will need:
- 2 tbsp crushed cookies (e.g. graham crackers, gingersnap cookies, Biscotti)
- For our recipe, we used four Biscotti cookies and saved ½ for garnish.
- ⅓ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 egg
- Optional: ½ tbsp heavy cream
You’ll also want a microwave-safe mug, an oven mitt or towel, and a whisk, spoon, or fork.
- Put 1/3 cup pumpkin puree in the bowl.
- Pour in 1 tbsp milk (we used oat milk)
- Crack in a whole egg (you can also use just the egg whites if you prefer a less eggy taste).
- Whisk until smooth
- Mix in 2 tbsp brown sugar
- If you have heavy cream, pour your 1/2 tbsp heavy cream in.
- Mix in 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Mix in 1 pinch of salt
- Sprinkle in your 1 tbsp pumpkin spice
- Continue whisking until all ingredients are blended in. It will be pretty liquid.
- Take your mug and pour the crushed cookies inside. If you'd like, save about 1 tsp for garnish.
- Smooth the bottom out.
- Pour your pumpkin pie mix over the cookies.
- Place it in the microwave.
- Cook it in 30-second increments until the top is mostly solid with a bit of runniness in the middle. We ended up cooking ours for 2 minutes, but the time may vary depending on your microwave wattage and power.
- While it's cooling, do your dishes!
Completely optional but so delicious:
- Add whipped cream as desired
- Garnish with any leftover cookie crumbs.
And that’s it. Enjoy your pumpkin pie in a mug! If you enjoyed this recipe, check out our other Made in a Mug recipes on Facebook. And if you watched the Pumpkin Pie video, special thanks to Reid and Umber for contributing clips.
Are you a teen and interested in having a say in the library’s teen programs and services? Our Library Youth Ambassadors (LYA) application is reopening on December 1, 2020, for Spring 2021. Find our application here. Meetings are the 1st and 3rd Thursday of every month from 4:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. on Zoom. LYA members are required to attend at least one meeting a month to remain active.