September is Library Card Sign-Up Month
September marks the beginning of Library Card Sign-Up Month. Since 1987, the American Library Association has designated the month of September as a time to ensure that everyone signs up for a card at their local library.
This year, Arlington Public Library is celebrating Library Card Sign-Up Month with a display at the George W. Hawkes Downtown Library. The display is a large night sky, and each time someone signs up for a card or renews an already-held card at any of our locations, we will add a star to the display. Over the course of the month, the display will fill up with the growing number of cardholders in the Arlington community.
If you need a library card, or if you need to renew the one you already have, now is the time!
Who is eligible for an Arlington Public Library card?
- Cards are FREE to anyone with a valid government-issued photo ID and proof of residency in Arlington, Pantego, Kennedale, or Mansfield. A current driver’s license, utility bill, lease, etc. all qualify as proof of residency.
- All students, teachers, and other faculty at schools in Arlington are eligible for a FREE library card regardless of residence. Bring proof of enrollment or employment to any APL location to get your card.
- All employees of the City of Arlington are also eligible for FREE cards – just show your employee badge or proof of employment at any Arlington Public Library location.
- Cards are also available to purchase for non-residents. Limited Services library cards are $25 per year and allow holders to borrow up to four physical items and access eBooks, eAudiobooks, and databases. Full Services library cards are $50 per year and allow holders the same privileges as a resident, including full public computer services.
How can you get a library card?
You may apply in-person or online, but all applications require ID and proof of residency before they are finalized.
Sign up today! Remember to upload a valid, government-issued photo ID and proof of residency to expedite the process.
What can you do with your library card?
Check Out Items
Arlington Public Library holds more than 550,000 items, including books, audiobooks, eBooks, and DVDs.
Access Digital Content
You can read eBooks, listen to eAudiobooks, and watch movies on your personal device with an APL card. We also have digital comics, read-along eBooks, and educational videos! Some of the platforms you have access to are:
- Transparent Language Online
- And many more!
Utilize Countless Resources
Arlington Public Library offers many different online resources for cardholders. Some of our featured databases include:
- Brainfuse HelpNow
- Brainfuse JobNow
- Brainfuse VetNow
- Value Line
- And many more!