Northeast Branch Library
Woodland West Branch Library
Southwest Branch Library
Southeast Branch Library
2 p.m. - 6 p.m.
Lake Arlington Branch Library
East Arlington Branch Library
George W. Hawkes Downtown Library
2 p.m - 6 p.m.
Expert Workshops Available at Genealogy Lock-In on October 18, 2019
Item request has been placed! ×
Item request cannot be made. ×
Get ready for a full day of family history and genealogy workshops! The Arlington Public Library is offering another Genealogy Lock-In on Friday, October 18, 2019 from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. at the Downtown Library. Celebrate Family History Month with live videos, streamed all day long from different locations around Texas.
The Downtown Library closes at 6 p.m., but the genealogy presentations will keep going until 8:30! Only the meeting room will be available after hours. Attendees who arrive after the library closes at should come to the building’s south lobby doors to join the Lock-in. Daytime sessions will meet in the Excellence Room on the third floor.
Programming is come and go and includes something for everyone, including beginners. No registration is required. See the full schedule below:
- 10:00 - 10:50 am – Technology Enabled Collaborations for Genealogists, Tony Hanson, Family Historian
- 11:00 - 11:50 am – Finding Elusive Records on FamilySearch.org., John Huff, FamilySearch Experience Manager
- Noon - 1:30 pm – Genealogy Basics: Getting Started on Your Family Tree, presented by Carl Smith, with the Montgomery County Memorial Library System
- 1:40 - 2:40 pm – Probate: More than a Will, Kelvin Meyers, Ancestry ProGenealogists, Researcher
- 2:50 - 3:50 pm – Roll Call: New Sites and Sources for Military Records and Research, Curt B. Witcher, MLS, FUGA, IGSF Manager, The Genealogy Center Senior Manager, Special Collections, Allen County Public Library
- 4:00 - 5:15 pm – Introduction to GEDmatch, Sara Allen, Librarian, Genealogy Center, Allen County Public Library
- 5:15-6:15 p.m. – Dinner break. Attendees may bring their own meal or visit one of Downtown Arlington’s many restaurants.
- 6:15 - 7:15 pm – Finding Your Ancestors in Mexico, Esther Camacho, South Texas Librarian, Genealogist, and Historical Researcher
- 7:25 - 8:30 pm – Dating Family Photos by Photo Process, Apparel, Hair Styles and More, David Coleman, Director, the Wittliff Collections, Texas State University
The Arlington Public Library’s Genealogy and Local History Librarian will be on hand to connect patrons with library and other area resources.
Light snacks, water and coffee will be available throughout the day. Attendees may bring their own snacks or meals to enjoy during the day. A dinner break is built into the schedule from 5:15 to 6:15 p.m., but dinner is not provided. Click here for more details, including full presentation summaries.