The Spring 2024 Arlington Public Library Flash Fiction Contest is here! We invite all young writers (grades 2nd -12th) in the community to submit an original work of Flash Fiction.* Submissions will be judged in grade specific divisions and division winners will receive a prize. The Submission Window is from February 19th through February 29th. The winners will be announced on March 8th.
Enter all submissions here: https://forms.gle/6TrscQej4q77As6C6
Submission Guidelines for the Spring 2024 Youth Flash Fiction Contest:
All Submissions must meet all guidelines to be considered by our Review Board.
- The word count may not exceed 1000 words. (Submissions with word counts higher than 1000 will not be accepted.)
- Entrants must submit their stories through the provided Google Form during the submission window. (We will not accept submissions via email or in hard copy. Any submissions received outside the submission window will not be accepted.)
- Submissions must be uploaded in .pdf or .doc or .docx format.
- Entrants must title their uploaded document with their name, age division, and story title. (Ex: John Doe, High School, The Fairy Friend)
- Submissions must include a cover page with the title of the story, the word count of the story, and the grade division of the entrant. Cover page example.
- Submissions must be typed in 12 point professional font (eg. Times New Roman, Ariel, Helvetica, Georgia, etc).
- The content of the submission may not be excessively profane, vulgar, or explicit.
- Submissions must not contain personal identification information.
- Submissions can be genre fiction or literary fiction or creative non-fiction.
- Only one submission per entrant is permitted.
- All Submissions must be an original work by only one author. (This means we can not accept any works of Fan Fiction.)
By submitting to the Spring 2024 Arlington Public Library Youth Flash Fiction Contest, entrants agree to abide by all submission guidelines and submit to the decisions made by the review board as it concerns naming winners, determination of submission fitness, and prize allocation.
The Arlington Public Library is not responsible for technical errors that result in failed submissions.
*Flash Fiction is the umbrella term for works of fiction that retain the standard story features (beginning, middle, end; character development and/or plot development) using fewer than 1,000 words.